Moroccan spiced grilled Cornish hen
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) fresh coriander, chopped
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 2.5 ml (1 /2 tsp) freshly ground black pepper
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) cumin seeds, toasted
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) paprika
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ginger, grated
- 4 Cornish hens or 2 broiler chickens of about 1 kg (2 lb) each
- Lime wedges
- In a large dish, mix together the marinade ingredients.
- Cut away the backbone of the hens.
- Toss the hens in the marinade until well coated.
- Marinate from 3 to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat one side of the barbecue to high and the other side to low.
- Lightly coat the grill rack with oil.
- Remove the chickens from the marinade. Pat dry lightly.
- Barbecue the hens from 10 to 12 minutes on each side over high heat.
- Transfer to the low heat side of the barbecue.
- Reduce the heat on the hottest side to medium.
- Close the barbecue lid and cook for another 12 to 15 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Grill the lime wedges.
- Serve the hens garnished with the lime wedges, and accompanied by couscous or large homemade French fries.