- 45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) crushed chili peppers
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) garlic, finely chopped
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) white wine
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 4 chicken breasts, boned and skinless
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 796 ml can (3 1/4 cups) diced tomatoes
- 10 ml (2 tsp) fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh oregano, coarsely chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) granulated sugar
- 5 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) capers, drained
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Sicilian olives or spicy Kalamata olives
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Italian parsley, chopped
- In a saucepan, heat 30 ml (2 tbsp) of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and crushed chili peppers.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute, stirring continuously.
- Add the white wine.
- Reduce for about 20 minutes to 3/4.
- In a skillet, heat the rest of the oil and the butter over medium-high heat.
- Season the breasts with salt and pepper.
- Sear for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Set aside.
- Once the wine has reduced, add the tomato, herbs and sugar.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the anchovy, capers and olives.
- Add the chicken breasts to the sauce.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, turning the breasts 2 or 3 times.
- Place the breasts on serving plates and top generously with some sauce.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve with buttered fresh pasta.