Smoked meat poutine
- Homemade or frozen storebought French fries
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) flour
- 750 ml (3 cups) beef bouillon
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) yellow mustard
- 200 g (7 oz) smoked meat, chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) grated medium cheddar cheese
- 4 pickles, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and sweat the shallots, 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and continue cooking for 3 minutes, constantly stirring.
- Pour in the bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in the mustard.
- Add the smoked meat and keep warm.
- For store-bought fries, follow package directions.
- Divide the fries among 4 bowls, distribute the cheese and the smoked meat over the fries, and pour the sauce mixture on top. Garnish with the pickle slices.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.