Chicken quesadillas with grapefruit salsa
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 250 ml (1 cup) coriander leaves, chopped (save a few leaves for garnish)
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ground coriander seeds
- 1 litre (4 cups) cooked chicken, shredded
- 12 corn or wheat tortillas, about 15 to 20 cm (6 to 8 in) in diameter
- 500 ml (2 cups) grated Swiss or cheddar cheese
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 4 Italian tomatoes, diced
- 2 large grapefruits, peeled and diced
- 10 ml (2 tsp) seeded and finely diced jalapenos
- Olive oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- In a strainer over a bowl, combine the tomatoes and grapefruit. Sprinkle with salt, stir and set aside to drain.
- In a skillet, sweat the onion on high with a splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt for about five minutes. Add the fresh and ground coriander, and cook for another minute. Incorporate the chicken, mix well and remove skillet from the burner. Set aside.
- On a work surface, lay out half the tortillas and brush lightly with oil. Turn over the tortillas and top each with grated cheese and then the chicken preparation. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and cover with another tortilla. Brush lightly with olive oil.
- Grill the quesadillas on the barbecue on medium-high for three to five minutes per side or until the cheese has melted.
- Meanwhile, transfer the tomato-grapefruit mixture to a bowl. Stir in the jalapenos and a splash of olive oil. 6 Serve the quesadillas with the salsa and some fresh coriander leaves.