Spinach quiche (Florentine)
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) butter
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) fresh spinach
- 1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) 35% cooking cream
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 1 pastry shell, 23 cm (9 in)
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) ham, diced
- 250 ml (1 cup) hard cheese, Swiss-style (Gruyère, Emmenthal, Comté, Vacherin, etc.), shredded
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a large skillet, melt the butter.
- Cook the spinach and leek for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Drain if needed.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs, cream and milk. Season.
- Place the spinach, leek and ham in the pastry shell.
- Add the egg mixture and top with cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the tip of a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Set aside for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve.