Ham and cheese quiche
- 1 pastry shell, 23 cm (10 in.)
- 4 large eggs
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 4 green onions or 180 ml (3/4 cup) leek, thinly sliced
- 1 package, 227 g (1/2 lb), mushrooms, minced
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) cooked ham, diced or minced
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) hard cheese of your choice, diced or grated
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Place the pastry shell in a quiche dish.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a skillet, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Sweat the onions and mushrooms, then add the ham and stir.
- Spread the filling in the pastry shell. Add the cheese.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture over the cheese.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle of the quiche comes out clean.
- Remove the quiche from the oven.
- Set aside for a few minutes before cutting and serving.
For a crustless quiche, butter a quiche dish, add the ingredients in the order given and reduce baking time to 25 to 35 minutes.
For a richer texture, replace half the milk with 15% or 35% cooking cream.