- 75 g (2 1/2 oz) butter
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 350 g (12 oz) Arborio rice
- 200 ml (3/4 cup) white wine
- 1 L (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 pinch of Iranian saffron
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50 g (1 3/4 oz) Parmesan Reggiano
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the shallots.
- Cook and stir periodically until the shallots turn transparent and soft.
- Add the rice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Moisten with white wine and continue cooking.
- Once the rice has absorbed all the wine, add 250 ml (1 cup) of hot chicken broth.
- Season with saffron, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 25 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly, gradually adding the rest of the chicken broth as the rice absorbs the liquid.
- Turn down the heat and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Once the rice is soft and has absorbed all the liquid (right before it starts sticking to the bottom of the saucepan), remove from the heat.
- Add the Parmesan and serve.