- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) basmati rice
- 750 ml (3 cups) cold water
- 7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsp) salt
- Zest of 1 orange, grated
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) dried cranberries
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) plain yogurt
- 10 ml (2 tsp) saffron
- 90 ml (6 tbsp) unsalted shelled pistachios, skinned and crushed
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) fresh parsley, chopped
- Place the rice in a bowl.
- Add at least twice the volume of cold water to rice. Stir and drain.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times to remove as much starch as possible, then soak the rice in cold water for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse and drain.
- Place the rice, water and salt in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, covered, over medium heat.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Stir in the orange zest, dried fruits, yogurt and saffron.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let stand for at least 5 minutes.
- Add the pistachios and parsley. Mix well.
- Serve immediately.
This rice goes very well with lamb stew.