Marinated flank steaks:
- 4 flank steaks, 170 to 225 g (6 to 8 oz) each
- 500 ml (2 cups) apple juice
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) soy sauce
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) toasted sesame oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) crushed black peppercorns
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves only
- 500 ml (2 cups) cooked white rice
- Fresh coriander
- Hot sauce (sambal oelek)
- Combine all marinade ingredients (except the olive oil) in a resealable plastic bag and add the meat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Remove steaks from the bag and pour the marinade into a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer until syrupy (about 20 minutes). Set aside.
- Pat dry the steaks with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil on mediumhigh and sear the steaks on each side. Lower heat to medium and cook on both sides to desired doneness. Let stand for five minutes before slicing thinly.
- In the centre of the table in separate dishes, put out the Boston lettuce leaves, the steak slices, the marinade sauce, the rice, the coriander and the hot sauce, so that guests can make their own roll-ups.