- 1/2 package of rice vermicelli
- 12 rice paper wrappers
- 1 large Boston or romaine lettuce
- 454 g (1 lb) bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 454 g (1 lb) glazed pork, cut into fine strips
- 32 basil leaves
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander, coarsely chopped
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 20 shrimp (21/25 count), deveined, cooked and sliced lengthwise
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) sugar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) lime juice
- A few drops of sambal olek sauce
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) fish sauce
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) water
- 1 carrot, julienned
- Cook the rice vermicelli in boiling salted water for 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain again.
- Fill a large bowl with lukewarm water.
- Quickly dip a wrapper into the water. Drain on a clean damp cloth.
- Cover with a leaf of lettuce and some vermicelli.
- Add a few bean sprouts.
- Fill with pork strips, basil leaves and coriander.
- Start rolling the wrapper up tightly.
- After the first roll, fold the sides inward, and roll the wrapper over itself.
- Before the last roll, garnish with shrimp slices and green onions.
- Press and seal.
- Repeat these steps to make 12 rolls.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce with sauce (see recipe below).
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together well.
- Set aside for a few minutes before serving.
All the ingredients for this recipe can be easily found in Asian grocery stores.