- 45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 250 ml (1 cup) dry white wine
- 1 can of 414 ml (14 oz) of diced tomatoes, drained
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Italian parsley, chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh oregano, chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 400 g (13 oz) raw shrimp (16/20), peeled
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) ouzo or pastis (optional)
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) feta cheese, crumbled
- In a saucepan, heat 30 ml (2 tbsp) of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Moisten with white wine and reduce by two thirds.
- Add the tomatoes, herbs and sugar.
- Add salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Adjust the heat so sauce barely simmers.
- Cook uncovered for about 20 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F).
- While the sauce simmers, in a frying pan heat the butter and the rest of oil over high heat.
- Once the butter foams, add half the shrimp and sear for 1 minute on each side.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Repeat the operation with the other half of the shrimp.
- Remove the excess fat. You may place all the shrimp back in the pan and flambé in ouzo. Set aside.
- About 2 minutes before the sauce has finished cooking, add the shrimp to the sauce. Stir.
- Place shrimp and sauce in an oven-safe serving dish.
- Sprinkle with crumbled feta.
- Cook in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the feta starts to melt.
- Remove from the oven, stir and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with slices of baguette.