- 4 medium-sized red beets
- 4 medium-sized yellow beets
- A few pinches of coarse salt
- 2 large oranges, seeded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 15 ml (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 60 ml (4 tsp) fresh parsley, chopped
- In two different saucepans, boil the red and yellow beets.
- Add salt and cover with cold water.
- Grate the zest of one orange. Set aside.
- With a sharp knife, cut away the peel and pith from the oranges, exposing the flesh.
- Extract the wedges (segments without the membrane), running a sharp knife between each orange wedge to separate the flesh of the fruit from the membrane. Set aside
- In a bowl, crush the flesh from one orange to obtain a pulpy juice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the green onions, the orange zest and the mustard. Stir well.
- Drizzle olive oil over while stirring to make a vinaigrette.
- Cut the beets into 5 to 10 mm (1/4 to 1/2 in.) slices.
- Place the beet slices in a bowl and top with vinaigrette.
- Add the orange wedges from the remaining orange. Stir gently.
- Add the parsley. Stir.
- Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.