Cole slaw with green apple
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) distilled white vinegar
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) granulated sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sea salt
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) freshly ground white pepper
- 500 g (1 lb) green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bouquet of parsley, chopped
- 3 ml (3/4 tsp) sea salt
- Freshly ground white pepper (to taste)
- 1 apple, Granny Smith, not peeled
- In a bowl, mix together all the vinaigrette ingredients.
- With a whisk, whip until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a large salad bowl, mix together all the salad ingredients, except the salt, pepper and the apple.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper, and toss well.
- Refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Toss 3 or 4 times during refrigeration.
- Before serving, cut the apple in thin julienne and add to the salad. Toss well.
- Serve chilled as a side dish for sandwiches or cold meat.
For an original presentation, serve in cored apple halves.