Layered crab salad with fennel
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed
- 1 Granny Smith apple, skin on
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon, separated
- 1 avocado
- 250 g (8 oz) snow crab meat
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) mayonnaise
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 green onions, with stem, finely chopped
- 1 celery-heart stalk, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) coriander leaves, chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Fennel leaves, for garnish
- Toasted baguette slices as accompaniment (optional)
- Using a mandolin or very sharp knife, thinly slice the fennel bulb and the apple.
- Season lightly with salt and sprinkle with half the lemon juice.
- Set aside on a plate. Peel, pit and dice the avocado.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside on a plate.
- In a bowl, mix together the crab meat, mayonnaise, capers, green onions, celery, coriander and lemon zest.
- Season to taste.
- On two plates (or 6 if served as an appetizer), alternate and slightly overlap the fennel and apple slices in the shape of a fan.
- Drizzle with the olive oil.
- Add the crab mixture and then the avocado pieces.
- Garnish with fennel leaves and, if desired, serve with toasted baguette slices.