- 250 ml (1 cup) tomato flesh, cut into 1 cm (3/8 in.) dice
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh basil, thinly sliced + a few whole leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250 ml (1 cup) bocconcini pearls
- In a bowl, mix together the tomato, onion, garlic, oil and basil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir gently and let rest for about 1 hour at room temperature to allow the flavours to meld.
- With a teaspoon, place half of the tomato mix at the bottom of each verrine.
- Continue with half of the bocconcini pearls.
- Add a layer of the tomato mix and finish with the rest of the bocconcini pearls.
- Garnish with basil leaves.
- Serve as an appetizer or at a cocktail party.