Picnic pasta salad
- 250 g (9 oz) orecchiette or other short noodles
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) grapeseed oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 grey shallot, finely chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) ground fennel seeds
- 1 broccoli, cut into small florets
- 112 g (1/4 lb) spicy pancetta, diced
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) shelled pistachios, or other nuts
- 1 container cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, shallot, fennel, salt and pepper. Set this vinaigrette aside.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water, and add the broccoli 4 minutes before the end of the pasta cooking time.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, sauté the pancetta and pistachios over high heat, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and continue cooking for one minute.
- Divide the pasta among four 500 ml, or eight 250 ml, Mason jars, add the pancetta mixture and pour in the vinaigrette.
- Before eating, vigorously shake the jar to mix.