Sausage and sauerkraut sandwiches
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) plain sauerkraut
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) beer
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 smoked Strasbourg sausages
- 4 long buns, split lengthwise
- 2 slices of cheese, Comté or Gruyère, sliced in strips
- Dijon mustard
- In a saucepan, melt the butter.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a skillet, sweat the onion for a few minutes over low heat.
- Add the sauerkraut and the beer.
- Season lightly with pepper. Stir.
- Bring to a boil.
- Top the sauerkraut with the sausages. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Toast the buns lightly in the oven.
- Spread some mustard inside the buns.
- Fill with sauerkraut and cheese strips.
- Add the sausage. Close the sandwich.
- Place the sandwiches on an oven-safe dish.
- Heat for a few minutes, until the cheese melts.
- Serve with dill pickles.