Scones with orange zest
- 500 ml (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 20 ml (1 heaping tbsp) baking powder
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 100 ml (6 tbsp + 1 tsp) melted butter
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) whole milk
- Zest of 1 orange, grated
- 5 ml (1 tsp) orange extract
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F) placing the rack in the centre.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the centre.
- In another bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients.
- Add the egg/milk mixture to the centre of the well.
- Incorporate the flour gradually, stirring with your hand in a circular motion.
- Do not overmix.
- Flour the countertop.
- Tapping with your hands, flatten the dough to about 2 cm (3/4 in.)
- With a cookie cutter or a 5 cm (2 in.) glass, cut 12 disks.
- Place the scones on a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with sweetened whipped cream and a selection of jams.