Sales rise 1.7 % at the SAQ in the second quarter of its 2017-2018 fiscal year
Montreal, October 27, 2017 – In the second quarter of its 2017-2018 fiscal year, which began June 18 and ended September 9, 2017, the SAQ had sales of $752.2 million, a $12.9 million (1.7%) increase from the preceding fiscal year. Net earnings, the entirety of which are remitted to the Quebec government to the benefit of all Quebecers, totalled $266.2 million (-4.5%), a variation attributable to the price reductions granted to customers since November of last year. In keeping with its strategy and business planning, the SAQ expects net earnings to increase by fiscal year-end due to the efficiency measures and business strategies it has implemented.
Overall increase in sales
- In the second quarter of fiscal 2017-2018, dollar sales in the store and specialized centre network rose $13 million or 2% to $673.3 million. Volume sales in the network totalled 40.9 million litres, a 2.8 million litre or 7.3% increase.
- Dollar sales in the wholesale grocer network ended the quarter at $78.9 million, a 0.1% decrease. Volume sales in the network fell 0.2 million litres or 2.1% to 9.3 million litres.
- For the 24-week period ended September 9, 2017, dollar sales totalled $1.451 billion, an increase of $21 million or 1.5% compared with the same period in the preceding fiscal year. For their part, volume sales rose 4.7 million litres or 5.1% to 97 million litres.
Lower net expenses
- Net expenses totalled $114.4 million in the second quarter, down $6.6 million or 5.5% from the preceding fiscal year despite the increase in volume.
- Expressed as a percentage of sales, net expenses were 15.2% compared with 16.4% in the second quarter of fiscal 2016-2017.
These results reflect the constant efforts made to improve the organization’s efficiency while continuing to provide high-quality personalized service to customers.
Customer initiatives taken in recent months
Two new stores inaugurated
- On October 5, the SAQ opened the new SAQ LaSalle-Dollard-Newman store to better serve customers in the area. The opening brings to 407 the number of SAQ stores across Quebec.
- In June, the SAQ opened the new SAQ Prévost store in the Laurentians region.
Experimental store opened
- In September, the SAQ opened an entirely redesigned store in the Carrefour Laval mall. It is a unique store in which several features and concepts that could eventually be implemented elsewhere in the network are tested. This laboratory store stands apart through its innovative approach in which sharing, discovery and accessibility are key.
The SAQ wins the expérience client omnicale award
At the recent eCommerce-Québec event held by the Conseil québécois du commerce de détail (CQCD), the SAQ received the Expérience client omnicanale award. The award recognizes the SAQ’s success in integrating an omnichannel approach at every level of its customer approach through its network of more than 400 stores, SAQ.com, its mobile transactional app, SAQ Inspire and its use of social media.