Paprika chicken souvlaki with tzatziki sauce
- 90 ml (1/4 cup + 2 tbsp) olive oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) wine vinegar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) garlic, minced
- 22 ml (1 1/2 tbsp) mild paprika
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) Espelette pepper
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) ground mustard
- 625 g (1 1/4 lb) chicken breasts or boneless and skinless thighs (to your taste), cut into 3 cm (1 1/4 in.) cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500 ml (2 cups) tzatziki sauce
- 4 pita breads
- Soak 4 wooden skewers in water for at least 20 minutes.
- Mix together the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Stir well.
- Place the chicken cubes in a gratin dish. Set aside.
- Top the chicken with the marinade and stir well to coat the cubes.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours. Stir after 1 hour.
- Scrub the barbecue grill clean.
- Preheat the barbecue to 230°C (450°F) or medium-high heat. Oil the grill.
- Thread the chicken cubes onto skewers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the skewers for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, with the barbecue lid closed.
- Serve on a bed of rice accompanied by a Greek salad, tzatziki sauce and pita bread.