Spaghetti with pesto
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) pine nuts
- 500 ml (2 cups) fresh basil (whole leaves)
- 250 ml (1 cup) freshly grated Parmesan
- 3 or 4 garlic cloves
- 1 pinch of sea salt + optional salt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- 1 package of 450 g (1 lb) of spaghetti
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place the pine nuts on a baking sheet and lightly toast in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
- In the container of a food processor, combine the basil with half the Parmesan, the garlic, pine nuts and salt. Process without the feed tube in place.
- Gradually pour in the olive oil and continue to process until even. Verify the seasoning.
- Cook the spaghetti al dente (1 minute less than the time indicated on the package).
- Keep one or two ladlefuls of cooking water from the pasta to dilute the pesto if needed.
- Drain the pasta.
- In a large bowl, place the hot pasta and add the pesto. Stir well.
- If needed, add a bit of cooking water.
- Garnish with Parmesan and serve.
Pesto may also be prepared in a mortar. Crush together the basil, garlic, Parmesan, pine nuts and salt until the mixture is even. Pour the oil into the mortar and stir well.