- 160 ml (2/3 cup) olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 750 g (1 1/2 lb) baby spinach
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) fresh dill, chopped
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh parsley, chopped
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 whole nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 14 sheets of phyllo dough
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a large saucepan, heat half the oil and brown the onion.
- Add half of the spinach. Once cooked until wilted, add the other half and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Drain in a strainer and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion and spinach with the herbs, cheese and eggs.
- Grate a bit of the nutmeg into the bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Using the remaining oil, brush the bottom of an oven-safe dish, 17.5 x 28 cm (7 x 11 in.).
- Place one sheet of dough at the bottom of the dish and brush with more oil.
- Place another sheet and repeat the process until the seventh sheet. The sheets will overhang the dish.
- Top with the spinach mixture and fold overhanging sheets over the filling.
- Repeat the same process with the rest of the sheets of dough and the oil to top the spinach mixture.
- Tuck overhanging sheets underneath the filling to seal.
- With the tip of a knife, score 8 squares on the surface.
- Cook in the centre of the oven for about 45 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and crispy.
- When serving, sprinkle with the zest of lemon.