California-style salmon tartare
- 1 lb fresh salmon fillet
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- 24 capers, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Debone the salmon and remove skin if necessary. Cut the filet into very small cubes of about 6 mm (1/4 inch). Avoid leaving big cubes. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Finely chop the chives, basil, shallots, red onion and capers. Set aside.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a bowl. Add olive oil, mustard, fine herbs, shallots, red onion, capers and salmon, and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cool the mixture in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes (so it becomes very cold but not frozen).
- Put the mixture into tapas spoons, decorate with fresh shoots and drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve immediately.