Strawberry and rhubarb pie
- 500 ml (2 cups) strawberries, hulled and cut into sections
- 500 ml (2 cups) frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 265 ml (1 cup + 1 tbsp) sugar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) cornstarch
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2 pie shells, 23 cm (9 in.)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg yolk
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) cold water
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a bowl, combine the strawberries, rhubarb, 250 ml (1 cup) sugar, maple syrup, cornstarch and cinnamon. Stir gently and set aside.
- Line the bottom of a 23 cm (9 in.) pie plate with the pie shell.
- Fill with the strawberry and rhubarb mixture.
- Sprinkle with pieces of butter.
- Brush the edge of the pie with a bit of water.
- Top with the second pastry shell.
- With a fork, seal the pie by gently pressing the edges together.
- With the tip of a knife, cut two incisions in the shape of a cross at the centre of the pie.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the egg with the cold water.
- Remove the pie from the oven.
- Brush the top of the pie with the egg wash. Sprinkle with 15 ml (1 tbsp) of sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Set aside to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve the pie with vanilla ice cream.