- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour (plus 30 ml [2 tbsp] to roll out the dough)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 1 pinch of salt
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sugar
- 60 to 90 ml (1/4 to 1/3 cup) ice water
- 500 ml (2 cups) whole pecans
- 90 ml (1/3 cup) cornstarch
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) cold water
- 250 ml (1 cup) 35% cooking cream
- 350 ml (1 1/2 cups) maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- In a bowl large enough to contain all the ingredients or in a food processor, mix together the flour, butter, salt and sugar.
- (Handmade) Use a pastry cutter or knife to cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Butter cubes should be approximately the size of a pea.
- (Food processor) Pulse gently until the same result is obtained.
- Add ice water, a few drops at a time.
- Once the mixture detaches from the side of the bowl or food processor, stop kneading.
- Gather dough into a ball with your hands.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour before rolling out.
- Flour the countertop. Roll out the dough in a circle.
- The dough should not be thicker than 3 mm (1/8 in.).
- Place on a 23 cm (9 in.) pie plate. Cut away the excess dough on the edge of the plate. Prick the dough with a fork.
- Place parchment paper directly on the dough. Fill with dried peas.
- Bake on bottom rack of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the plate from the oven. Remove the peas.
- Bake in the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes until it is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and set it aside to cool. Do not turn off the oven.
- Meanwhile, on a baking sheet, spread the pecans and cook in the oven on the middle rack for 5 minutes.
- Set it aside to cool.
- With a fork, dissolve the cornstarch in cold water. The mix should have a creamy texture. Set aside.
- In a thick-bottomed pot, mix together the cream, maple syrup and cornstarch mix.
- Over medium heat, bring to a boil for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring regularly. The mixture is ready once thickened.
- Add the toasted pecans to the maple syrup mix, coating them well.
- Transfer them to the cooled pie crust.
- Set aside for a few minutes at room temperature.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Remove the pie from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving.