Pie crust :
- 750 ml (2 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour (plus 45 ml [3 tbsp] to roll out the dough)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 185 ml (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) sugar
- 80 to 125 ml (1/3 to 1/2 cup) ice water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6 apples, Granny Smith, Spartan, Empire or Golden Delicious
- 1 vanilla bean
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) cinnamon
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) unsalted butter, diced
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, butter and sugar.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Butter cubes should be approximately the size of a pea.
- Add ice water, a few drops at a time.
- Once the mixture detaches from the side of the bowl, stop kneading.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Flour the countertop. Roll out the dough in a circle of 3 mm (1/8 in.) thick.
- Place on a 23 cm (9 in.) pie plate.
- Trim the excess dough away from the rim of the plate.
- Prick the dough with a fork.
- Place parchment paper directly on the dough. Fill with dried peas.
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the plate from the oven, the paper and the peas.
- Bake in the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes until it is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and set it aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, fill half of a large bowl with cold water. Add the lemon juice.
- Peel and remove the seeds from the apple.
- Cut into slices (5 mm [1/4 in.] thick max).
- Add them to the acidulated water to prevent oxidation (browning).
- Once all the apples are prepared, drain them.
- With a knife, slice the vanilla bean lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, vanilla seeds and cinnamon. Stir.
- Add the drained apples to the flour mixture.
- Coat all of the apples so there are no solid ingredients left at the bottom of the bowl.
- Place the coated apples on the dough. Top with butter cubes.
- On the floured countertop, roll out the remaining 1/3 of the dough, 3 mm (1/8 in.) thick.
- With your fingertip, moisten the rim of the dough.
- Place the moistened surface of the dough over the apples.
- With a fork, press the top of the dough to the base, and seal.
- Pierce a hole in the centre of the dough as well as at noon, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet (the liquid may overflow).
- Place the sheet on the bottom rack of the oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Set aside to cool and serve.