6 to 8
- 1 pie shell, 23 cm (9 in.)
- 430 ml (1 3/4 cups) brown sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) flour
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) 35% cooking cream
- 1 egg
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F).
- Line the bottom of a 23 cm (9 in.) pie plate with the pie shell. Lightly press into place.
- Bake the pie shell for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a saucepan.
- Using a whisk, mix lightly until well combined.
- Heat over medium-high heat, stirring slowly and continuously.
- As soon as it begins to boil, whisk more quickly.
- Boil for about 2 minutes until boiling rapidly and thickened.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Set aside to cool for 1 hour.
- Serve the pie as is or with Chantilly cream (sweetened or flavoured whipped cream).