- 125 ml (1/2 cup) butter
- 250 ml (1 cup) sugar
- 7 Royal Gala apples, peeled, seeded, cut into wedges
- 1 sheet puff pastry, rolled out
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a round high-sided 25 cm (10 in.) baking pan, heat the butter and sugar over medium-high heat.
- With a wooden spatula, first stir occasionally, then constantly when the mixture starts to brown, until it turns into a brown caramel (not too dark as it could be too bitter).
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Place the apples on the bottom of the pan, core side up.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil.
- Cover with the rolled-out pastry, folding the excess dough inward.
- Bake for another 20 minutes.
- Let cool for about 20 minutes.
- Place a plate-larger than the baking pan-on top of the pie and flip it. Be careful not to get burnt by the hot caramel.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Purists prefer a plain tarte Tatin with no accompaniment.