- 4 to 5 large red tomatoes, ripe and firm
- Coarse salt
- 1 puff pastry for a baking sheet measuring 38 cm x 48 cm (15 x 19 in)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) tomato pesto
- 8 leaves of fresh basil, minced
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500 ml (2 cups) grated cheese of your choice
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- Slice the tomatoes 1 cm thick.
- Sprinkle some coarse salt on the surface and allow to drain for an hour on paper towel.
- Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Roll out the puff pastry unto the pie plate and prick it with a fork.
- Spread it with tomato pesto.
- Season with salt and pepper (do not add too much salt as the tomatoes have absorbed some of the coarse salt).
- Stir gently to coat the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle some cheese on the pastry.
- Place the tomato slices on the cheese, slightly overlapping.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with dry oregano.
- Bake in the lower part of the oven for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven, garnish with basil leaves and green onion slices.
- Serve with a green salad.