Traditional three-meat pie
- 225 g (1/2 lb) each: small cubes grain-fed veal, turkey and lamb
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) each: diced carrots, minced celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried thyme
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) red wine
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 22 ml (1 1/2 tbsp) flour
- 310 ml (1 1/4 cups) chicken stock
- 2 rolled dough pieces
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) peeled potatoes, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- Mix all ingredients from meat preparation.
- Keep refrigerated for 4 hours, then remove bay leaves.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, add flour and stock and whisk constantly.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until thick. Let rest until warm.
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Cover the bottom and sides of a 23 cm (10 in.) removable-bottom pan with the rolled dough.
- Mix meat preparation with potatoes and season generously.
- Spread in the pan, add sauce and cover with rolled dough. Make a few incisions in the dough.
- Brush with egg and cook at the center of the oven for 1h30.
- Let rest for 20 minutes before removing pan.
- Serve pie with green veggies.