Shrimp and avocado canapés
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) guacamole (see guacamole recipe)
- 4 slices of rye bread, toasted, crusts removed
- Lemon juice
- 16 shrimp, 21/25 count, or 64 small Northern shrimp
- 16 capers
- 16 sprigs of fresh coriander
- Prepare the guacamole, cover and set aside.
- Cut each slice of toast into four equal croutons.
- In a saucepan, add salt and lemon juice to water and bring to a boil. Poach the shrimp for 5 minutes.
- Peel and butterfly shrimp. (If using Northern shrimp, poach for 1 minute, then drain.)
- Spread each crouton with guacamole - place one shrimp in the centre, or top each crouton with 4 small shrimp.
- Garnish with one caper and a sprig of coriander.
The avocado is the key element to making successful guacamole. Choose very ripe avocados, even if it means having to discard some of the spoiled parts.