- 1 whole duck, about 2 kg (4 1/2 lb)
- 5 L (20 cups) water
- 75 ml (5 tbsp) soy sauce
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) liquid honey
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sesame oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Chinese 5-spice mix
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) cornstarch
- 24 Chinese pancakes
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) hoisin sauce
- 1/2 English cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a very large pot, bring the water to a boil.
- Boil the duck for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Blot the duck dry with paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a bowl, mix together all the glaze ingredients.
- Place the duck in an oven-safe dish.
- Brush the duck with a generous coat of glaze.
- Wait for 4 to 5 minutes and repeat the operation.
- Cook in the oven for 1 hour. (Do not open the door during the cooking.)
- Carve the duck, placing the skin and the flesh in 2 separate dishes.
- Serve with the side dishes presented in such way that each guest may garnish their pancakes as they wish.