Vanilla ice cream with cherries and port
- 1 398 ml (14 oz) can Bing cherries
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) port
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 750 ml (3 cups) ice cream
- In a saucepan, combine the juice from the can of cherries with the port and maple syrup.
- Add the cinnamon stick and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until consistency is syrupy.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and add the cherries.
- Simmer for another three minutes.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Divide the ice cream among four bowls.
- Pour the cherry mixture over the ice cream.
- Serve immediately, accompanied by fine biscuits.
To make a flambéed version, flambé the cherries before adding them to the syrup:
- put them in a skillet sprinkle with 45 ml (3 tbsp) of your favourite spirit (cognac, kirsch, fruit brandy, fruit liqueur)
- heat slightly and flambé for 30 seconds.
- add the cherries to the syrup and continue with the recipe.