Mini Italian meatball burgers
- 500 g (1 lb) lean ground veal
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) bread crumbs
- 25 ml (1 tbsp + 2 tsp) fresh parsley, chopped
- 25 ml (1 tbsp + 2 tsp) fresh sage, chopped
- 25 ml (1 tbsp + 2 tsp) fresh mint, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500 ml (2 cups) marinara sauce
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 12 mini burger buns
- 12 mozzarella cheese slices
- 12 large basil leaves
- In a large bowl, mix together the veal, eggs, Parmigiano Reggiano, bread crumbs and herbs. Combine well.
- Make 12 meatballs and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- In a saucepan, heat the marinara sauce over medium heat.
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the meatballs on all side for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the marinara sauce and continue cooking, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Place the bottom of the buns on a cooking sheet.
- Fold each mozzarella slice in half and then in half again, making 4 layers, and top each bun with one folded slice.
- Place under the broiler, leaving the oven door partly open, for about 2 minutes, until the cheese melts.
- Place a meatball on each bun and top with a leaf of basil.
- Close the mini burgers and skewer each with a toothpick.
- Serve immediately as an aperitif.