Indian butter chicken
- 90 ml (6 tbsp) clarified butter
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 10 ml (2 tsp) fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 pinch of ground cardamom
- 5 ml (1 tsp) turmeric
- 1 pinch of Cayenne pepper
- 600 g (1 1/4 lb) boneless chicken breasts, skinless, cut into 2.5 cm (1 in.) cubes
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) diced tomatoes
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) tomato paste
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) ground almonds
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) plain yogurt
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) 15% cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few fresh coriander leaves
- In a skillet, heat the clarified butter over medium-high heat.
- Sweat the onion with the cinnamon for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, cardamom, turmeric and Cayenne pepper.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken cubes. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, ground almonds and 60 ml (1/4 cup) of water.
- Stir well and simmer gently for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the yogurt and cream in a bowl. Set aside.
- When the chicken is cooked, lower the heat and add the yogurt and cream mixture.
- Heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately on basmati rice.
- Garnish with the coriander leaves.