Mini cheese soufflés
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 250 ml (1 cup) whole milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 3 egg yolks, large size
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) Emmenthal, grated
- 4 egg whites, large size
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. With a whisk, gradually stir in the flour to make a roux.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring continuously until the roux whitens.
- Add the cold milk and continue cooking, stirring frequently.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the nutmeg. Cook until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Remove from the heat. (The béchamel must be very thick for a successful soufflé.)
- Quickly add the egg yolks, one at a time, stirring between each addition.
- Add the cheese and stir well.
- Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Butter and flour the mini casseroles.
- Once done, it is important not to touch the inside of the mini casseroles as it could compromise the success of your recipe.
- In a large bowl, add the egg whites and a pinch of salt. With a whisk, beat until they form stiff peaks.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the bowl containing the béchamel. Gently fold this mixture into the bowl containing the rest of the egg whites.
- Fill each mini casserole 3/4 full with the mixture. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the soufflés from the oven.
- Serve immediately.
Important: Do not open the oven door before the end of the baking time (any decrease in temperature could ruin the soufflés).