Asian soup with vegetables and tofu
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) peanut oil
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) carrots, cut into thin slices
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) celery, sliced diagonally
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) shiitake mushrooms, cut into 1 cm (3/8 in.) dice
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 L (8 cups) chicken broth
- 20 ml (4 tsp) fish sauce
- 500 ml (2 cups) napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 500 ml (2 cups) bean sprouts
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) snow peas, cut into 2 to 3 cm (1 in.) dice
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) green onion, thinly sliced
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) water chestnuts, slivered
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) soy sauce
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) rice vinegar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sesame oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) honey
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) sambal oelek
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 375 (1 1/2 cups) extra firm tofu, cut into 2 cm (3/4 in.) dice
- In a bowl, mix together all the marinade ingredients except the tofu.
- Stir well.
- Add the tofu and coat it well.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour, stirring 3 times.
- In a saucepan, heat 15 ml (1 tbsp) of peanut oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the carrots, celery and mushrooms.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the ginger and garlic.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken broth and fish sauce.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat the remaining peanut oil over medium-high heat.
- Drain the diced tofu.
- Fry until nicely browned and crispy.
- Divide the tofu between serving bowls, and top with the soup.
- Place soy sauce, fresh coriander and lime wedges on the table so your guests can season their soup to their taste.
- Serve hot.