- 4 rib steaks, 4-cm (1 1/2-in) thick
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 10 ml (2 tsp) peppercorns
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) kosher, or coarse, salt
- With a coffee grinder, mortar or small food processor, grind together the cinnamon, star anise and peppercorns.
- Add the brown sugar and salt.
- Rub the steaks with the spice mixture and let rest at room temperature for one hour.
- Heat the barbecue to medium-high, grill the steaks 3 to 4 minutes, then flip.
- Cook another 3 to 4 minutes for rare or 6 minutes for medium doneness.
- Let stand 5 minutes, covered, before serving.