Beef tartare with cocoa and hot peppers
- 250 g (1/2 lb) filet mignon (or inside round)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) cocoa powder
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) Aleppo or Espelette pepper (or more, to taste)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) mustard à l'ancienne
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh basil, snipped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) walnut oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh herbs, for garnish
- 8 toasted baguette slices, for accompaniment
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients except the beef, and set aside for five minutes to let the flavours develop.
- Cut the beef into small cubes and add to the bowl. Mix well, adjust seasoning as needed and let rest for five minutes.
- For an attractive presentation, plate the tartare using a cookie cutter, and garnish with fresh herbs. Serve with toasted baguette slices.
Add capers and shaved Parmesan or Comté cheese.