250 mL (1 cup) beer (preferably brown)
4 French shallots, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
30 mL (2 tbsp) finely chopped tamarind or lemon grass
15 mL (1 tbsp) chopped fresh ginger
30 mL (2 tbsp) soy sauce
30 mL (2 tbsp) maple syrup
30 mL (2 tbsp) brown sugar
Salt and pepper
600 g (1 1/3 lb) flank steak, cut into 4 equal parts
60 mL (1/4 cup) fresh parsley, chopped
1. In a saucepan, mix together all the marinade ingredients. Bring to a boil.
2. Turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
4. Place the beef in a large dish and top with the marinade.
5. Marinate for 4 to 6 hours in the refrigerator.
6. Heat the barbecue to medium-high, clean and lightly oil the grill.
7. Remove the meat from the marinade. Pat dry with paper towels.
8. Grill the meat for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness.
9. Meanwhile, simmer the marinade for 5 to 6 minutes and strain.
10. Top the steaks lightly with sauce and sprinkle with the parsley. Pour the rest of the sauce into a sauce boat. Serve.
For tender meat, slice against the grain. If you cut your flank steak in the same direction as the muscle fibres, you’ll be left with a piece that is tougher and harder to chew.