1 filet of grain-fed veal of about 900 g (2 lb.)
15 mL (1 tbsp.) oil
125 mL (1/2 cup) dried prunes, chopped
1 red apple, cut in small cubes
60 mL (1/4 cup) pure apple juice
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
125 mL (1/2 cup) bread crumbs
15 mL (1 tbsp.) fresh rosemary, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
250 mL (1 cup) applesauce, homemade or store-bought
60 mL (1/4 cup) Bordeaux red wine
15 mL (1 tbsp.) honey
1. Preheat oven to 230°C (450°F). 2. Mix all stuffing ingredients. Season generously.
3. Open the veal filet in two (thickness wise) without cutting through.
4. Cover with stuffing, close with toothpicks or tie with string.
5. Place veal in baking dish, brush with oil, season and sear at the center of the oven for 15 minutes.
6. Lower temperature to 160°C (325°F) and cook for 1 hour.
7. During the last minutes of cooking, heat all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Simmer for 2 minutes.
8. Serve slices of filet topped with applesauce.