Natural wines are gaining in popularity, and for good reason: more than ever, we’re concerned about what we eat and drink and the production methods of the products we choose. The new arrival of natural wines will certainly fans of the genre very excited, but for those who know little about them; what to buy? Our experts reveal their favourites from the drop to help you shop like a pro.
As quantities are limited, some of these suggestions may be sold out.
- $31.50Not availableOnline AvailableIn storeWant to taste the true nature of Sauvignon Blanc? There it is. A jewel of a wine supervised by Sébastien Riffault, who started his project in 2002. Lover of the land, his vineyard promotes biodiversity and a balance is naturally created between insects and plants. Contrary to what the Sancerrois tends to offer, here there’s no rectification, filtration or other, and the wines are bottled by gravity after aging on the lees. Treat yourself with a goat cheese tartine, or pasta with shrimp, olive oil and lemon zest.
- Not availableOnline AvailableIn storeA lover of Quebec, hockey and poutine, Quentin Bourse took on the challenge of showcasing the Azay-le-Rideau en Loire terroir, a small little-known appellation with real potential. This cuvée produced with very little intervention. The result? Purity and tension; this is a wine with an indisputable “glou glou” factor. Chill the bottle for a few minutes and enjoy with a platter of charcuteries.
- One of the tastiest expression of the Gamay grape variety. Vinified in whole bunches with 2 weeks of carbonic maceration, obviously under the action of indigenous yeasts, everything is unfiltered, not fined, and without the addition of sulphites. Only the purity of the wine… A great thirst-quenching cuvée, delicately spiced, where each sip calls for the next. To share with the people you love, while savouring the moment. Goodbye Oliver… you will be missed.
- $42.25Not availableOnline AvailableIn storeWhat natural wine lover doesn’t know Foillard in Beaujolais? The apple did not fall far from the tree when Alex, son of Jean and Agnès, started his own project in 2015. After studying and developing his skills in France, Australia and Japan, he follows his father’s footsteps and philosophy: A lot of work and attention to the vineyard, but the least possible intervention in the cellar. The Foillard aura is here to shine for a long time to come, judging by the quality of this vintage! Wonderful with a mustard and herb pork chop.
- Not availableOnline AvailableIn storeWhy yes! Natural Argentinian Malbec. Let’s get away from the more traditional grape varieties often encountered in this production philosophy and embrace the diversity! A dark, rich and gourmet cuvée, dry and balanced, without additives, without woody input… Completely bare for our greatest pleasure! Totally the style of wine that has the panache to pair with grilled red meat on the BBQ. A must to discover.
- $45.75Not availableOnline Not availableIn storeWhen the artisans behind a wine go out of their way to make what they love to drink, that’s more than enough to tantalize our taste buds! Alice and Olivier de Moor rule out anything that might trivialize the origin of wine. No more "correction" of the harvest, yeasting, cold passage, filtration, massive doses of sulphites... and welcome to the frank and pure expression of Chardonnay and the Chablis terroir! A delight on its own, but it can obviously enhance your seafood dishes.