Baguette with Québec cheese and onion confit
4 (as an appetizer)
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
30 ml (2 tbsp.) vegetable oil
15 ml (1 tbsp.) butter
2 large onions, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 ml (1/4 tsp.) ground nutmeg
30 ml (2 tbsp.) honey
15 ml (1 tbsp.) water
1 baguette cut into 4 pieces
45 ml (3 tbsp.) coarsely chopped filberts (hazelnuts)
225 g (1/2 lb.) Fin Renard cheese, sliced
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions and allow them to sweat 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, honey, and water.
- Cook 15 more minutes or until the onions are well done and fully covered in honey. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Open each piece of bread along its length (sandwich style).
- Flatten them slightly so they remain open.
- Spread the onion mixture on each piece of bread.
- Top with nuts and cheese slices.
- Bake 3 to 4 minutes until the cheese melts and lightly browns.
- Serve immediately.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.