Braised beef with mushroom garnish
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
Flour, as needed
600 g (1 1/3 lb.) stew beef, cubed
30 ml (2 tbsp.) vegetable oil
80 ml (1/3 cup) smoked bacon, in strips
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large onion, thickly chopped
250 ml (1 cup) red wine
500 ml (2 cups) homemade or store-bought beef stock
1 can, 540 ml (19 oz.), diced tomatoes
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
Salt and freshly ground pepper
750 ml (3 cups) varied mushrooms (white, Paris, oyster), thickly chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp.) fresh parsley, chopped
45 ml (3 tbsp.) olive oil
- Coat the beef cubes with flour and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and sear the bacon and beef cubes thoroughly. Keep hot.
- In the same saucepan, add half the garlic and the onion.
- Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes or until the onion is lightly caramelized.
- Deglaze with the wine and reduce by half.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, thyme and meat.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 45 minutes or until the meat cubes are tender.
- Add the potatoes halfway through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- In a bowl, mix the remaining garlic, mushrooms, parsley and olive oil.
- Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet.
- Add salt and pepper, and cook for 8 minutes.
- Serve the beef in bowls and garnish with the mushrooms.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.