Chicken liver and cranberry compote canapés
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
200 g (1/2 lb.) fresh chicken liver
About 24 slices baguette or brioche bread
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
60 ml (1/4 cup) oil
60 ml (1/4 cup) cranberry juice
Juice and zest of 1/2 orange
1 sprig fresh tarragon or 2 ml (1/2 tsp.) dried tarragon
15 ml (1 tbsp.) butter
125 ml (1/2 cup) onion, chopped
250 ml (1 cup) whole cranberries, fresh or frozen
60 ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- In a shallow baking dish, combine all marinade ingredients.
- Add the chicken liver, coat well and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- For the compote, melt the butter in a saucepan and brown the onion.
- Add the cranberries and maple syrup.
- Mix well and cook for a few minutes over low heat, until the cranberries are tender. Leave to cool.
- Remove the chicken liver from the marinade and drain thoroughly.
- In a non-stick skillet on medium heat, cook the liver until done.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- After the liver has cooled, cut it into thin slices.
- Place a slice of the liver on each piece of bread and top with 7 mL (1/2 tbsp) of the cranberry compote.
- Serve immediately.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.