Braised veal cheeks with mushroom and Parmesan
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
30 ml (2 tbsp.) vegetable oil
30 ml (2 tbsp.) butter
1 kg (2 lb.) milk-fed veal cheeks, cleaned (ask your butcher)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 medium onions, cut into 2 to 3 cm (1 in.) dice
250 ml (1 cup) carrots, peeled and cut into 2 to 3 cm (1 in.) chunks
4 garlic cloves, peeled
500 ml (2 cups) red wine
300 ml (1 1/4 cups) veal stock
5 ml (1 tsp.) whole black peppercorns
2 to 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
750 ml (3 cups) oyster mushrooms, sliced into strips
60 ml (1/4 cup) Parmesan shavings
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F).
- In a skillet, heat half of the oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Season the veal cheeks with salt and pepper.
- Sear on both sides and place in a casserole. Remove excess fat.
- Brown the onion, carrot and garlic for about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetables to the casserole.
- Deglaze the skillet with the wine and pour into the casserole.
- Add the veal stock, peppercorns, thyme and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook in the oven for about 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- In a skillet, heat the rest of the oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the oyster mushrooms.
- Set aside.
- Once the veal cheeks are cooked, remove from the casserole.
- Strain the liquid and put it back in the casserole to reduce to sauce consistency.
- Add the mushrooms and cheeks, and reheat.
- Divide between serving plates.
- Garnish with Parmesan shavings.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and glazed carrots.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.