Beef stew with vegetables and barley
25 to 30 minutes
4 to 6
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
45 ml (3 tbsp.) olive oil
1 kg (2.2 lb.) stewing beef, cut into cubes
6 carrots, cut into thick rounds
3 celery stalks, cut into chunks
1 medium leek, cut into 1 cm (3/8 in.) rounds
500 ml (2 cups) mushrooms, cut into quarters
3 garlic cloves, chopped
15 ml (1 tbsp.) cornstarch
250 ml (1 cup) red wine
1 L (4 cups) hot beef broth
180 ml (3/4 cup) pearl barley
30 ml (2 tbsp.) tomato paste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven (or slow cooker) to 150°C (300°F).
- In a large oven-safe pot, heat half of the oil and brown the beef cubes in two or three batches. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat the remaining oil and brown the vegetables.
- Add the garlic and cornstarch.
- Deglaze with the red wine.
- Stir in the hot broth, barley and tomato paste.
- Add the meat, stir and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and place in the oven (or place in the slow cooker and cover).
- Reduce the temperature to 120°C (250°F) and continue cooking for 2 1/2 to 3 hours (the beef cubes should pull apart with a fork).
- Serve in soup plates, garnished with parsley.
Omit the barley and add cubes of potatoes 1 hour before the end of the cooking time.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.