Pasta with tomatoes and braised beef
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
30 ml (2 tbsp.) vegetable oil
500 g (1 lb.) beef blade roast
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 medium onions, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
300 ml (1 1/4 cups) red wine
300 ml (1 1/4 cups) veal stock
1 bay leaf
5 ml (1 tsp.) dried thyme
45 ml (3 tbsp.) olive oil
1 can, 796 ml (27 oz.), of diced tomatoes
15 ml (1 tbsp.) tomato paste
15 ml (1 tbsp.) fresh oregano, chopped
15 ml (1 tbsp.) granulated sugar
600 g (20 oz.) penne rigate (or other short pasta), cooked al dente
250 ml (1 cup) Parmesan cheese, shaved
30 ml (2 tbsp.) Italian parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 135°C (275°F).
- In a Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Sear on both sides.
- Set aside.
- Sweat half of the onions, without browning, until soft.
- Add 2/3 of the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Moisten with red wine and veal stock.
- Add the bay leaf and half of the thyme.
- Place the beef back into the Dutch oven.
- Cover and place in the oven.
- Cook for about 3 hours, until the meat pulls apart easily.
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Sweat the rest of the onions for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add the rest of the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and the rest of the herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer gently, uncovered, for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the beef and pull the meat apart coarsely.
- Pass the cooking juice through a sieve and add to the sauce.
- Cook the pasta al dente following the directions on the package.
- Divide and place the beef on each pasta dish.
- Top with the sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan shavings and chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.