General Tao chicken
15 to 20 minutes
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
15 ml (1 tbsp.) sesame oil
30 ml (2 tbsp.) garlic, peeled, thinly sliced
30 ml (2 tbsp.) ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
90 ml (6 tbsp.) soy sauce
180 ml (3/4 cup) water
90 ml (6 tbsp.) sugar
4 large pieces of orange peel
1 ml (1/4 tsp.) crushed chili pepper
15 ml (1 tbsp.) oyster sauce
15 ml (1 tbsp.) ketchup
20 ml (4 tsp.) cornstarch
500 g (1 lb.) chicken breasts, skinless, cut into 2.5 cm (1 in.) dice
250 ml (1 cup) extra crusty tempura mix
180 ml (3/4 cup) ice-cold water
Vegetable oil for frying
15 ml (1 tbsp.) sesame seeds, toasted
30 ml (2 tbsp.) green onion, sliced
- In a saucepan, heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the slices of garlic and ginger. Brown for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, water, sugar, orange peel and crushed chili. Stir.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the oyster sauce and ketchup. Stir.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in a bit of lukewarm water.
- When the sauce starts boiling again, gradually add the cornstarch mixing constantly until obtaining a desirable consistency.
- Pass the sauce through a sieve. Set aside and keep warm.
- Preheat the fryer to 180°C (350°F) and the oven to 80°C (180°F)
- In a small bowl, combine the tempura mix and cold water.
- With a whisk, beat the mix until even.
- Place a small bowl in a large bowl filled with ice cubes (to keep the paste cold).
- Dip the diced chicken in the paste, one piece at a time, and then into the hot oil.
- Do not fry more than 5 to 6 pieces at a time to avoid their sticking together.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, flipping the pieces once, until the chicken is cooked through and browned.
- Place the cooked chicken pieces on a baking sheet covered with paper towel and keep warm in the oven.
- Repeat the procedure until all the chicken meat is cooked.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken pieces and hot sauce.
- Stir well to coat all the pieces with sauce.
- Place the chicken on plates.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onion.
- Serve immediately with jasmine rice or basmati rice.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.